Back to RockSquawk.com         Squawk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Chatter    My friend Eric Johnson died of cancer last Wednesday.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My friend Eric Johnson died of cancer last Wednesday.
 Login/Join

posted
Most recently, he was the driving force behind the Rivet Gang and Big Sad Guy, but in the dim and murky past he was also the driving force behind Mumble and the Gutterleaves, and played banjo in my band (ant farmers) for a few years.

In 1981, my first night in the Laguna/De Vargas dorms, I left the door to my room open while I went to take a quick pee. When I came back, the biggest motherfucker I'd ever seen was sitting on my bed, fucking around with my bass. I was terrified. But it was Eric Johnson. And we went on to be the best pals for over 30 years. My wife loved him. My kids loved him. He helped me with my every shitty home repair project and was my only friend who insisted on exchanging xmas gifts with us. He was my only friend that liked "The Fugitive" series as much as I do. I could go on.

Anyway, for those of you who knew him and hadn't heard, there's a big celebration of Eric Johnson this Saturday 7/14 4pm at the Press Club, with BBQ and drinks and some of his musician friends playing his songs. Just like he would have wanted. Maybe I'll see some of you there.

Posts: 279 | Registered: January 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post