Back to RockSquawk.com         Squawk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Chatter    Good Small Venues?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Good Small Venues?
 Login/Join

posted
What are the good small venues these days? I want to book something with my soft rock/rap-hop project and am thinking something low key (we aren't that good).

Posts: 1377 | Registered: September 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
56 strings

posted Hide Post
winnings?

-----------------------------------------
http://ghost-circles.bandcamp.com

Posts: 1562 | Registered: April 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Losings

Posts: 81 | Registered: September 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Photobucket

posted Hide Post
There are a lot of great smaller, DIY venues in town, but they only have good music.

band goes boom
yayaboom.com
facebook.com/themotelles
facebook.com/bigawatt
facebook.com/thejeebies
facebook.com/milchdelamaquina

Posts: 627 | Registered: May 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by boomhead:
There are a lot of great smaller, DIY venues in town, but they only have good music.

Thank you for your 2 cents.

I'll clarify a little- What are the good small-ish venues for bands starting out? Stage/area should be large enough for a normal drum set, minimal or no PA required, general volume level more like combo amps than stacks, atmosphere non-metal/country (non-douche preferable), business aspect relatively low stress.

There used to be a few venues in my area in recent years but I think they've all shut down.

- Black Market Goods
- The Agency
- Amped (are they still open?)

Places I can think of:

- Winnings
- Blackbird
- Brickyard

Anyway, I was just wondering what else is out there. I used to be more on top of this stuff and am trying to find some appropriate options for my friends in this project to get a little more experience playing out.

If only I was as cool as you...

posted Hide Post
Amped moved downtown. There's also Kosmo's, Gasworks, Orchid Chamber, Outpost (if you have money), Warehouse 508. I know there's a few more, I'm sure you can track them down on Google.

"Here's to alcohol, the cause of and solution to all of life's problems." - Homer J. Simpson

Posts: 86 | Location: Albuquerque | Registered: August 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
56 strings

posted Hide Post
is kosmo's still doing shows? i haven't seen anything booked there in forever and every time i've emailed them i've never heard anything back.

-----------------------------------------
http://ghost-circles.bandcamp.com

Posts: 1562 | Registered: April 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Your Music Is In Odd Time Signatures

posted Hide Post
I like the good old house party venue.

Posts: 1543 | Location: Albuquerque, NM | Registered: June 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I want to perform in an outhouse with a small crowd outside.

Posts: 279 | Registered: January 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Your Music Is In Odd Time Signatures

posted Hide Post
Sounds shitty.

Posts: 1543 | Location: Albuquerque, NM | Registered: June 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I can play guitar upside down and backwards.

posted Hide Post
Check with The Plant and also Small Engine Gallery. Both excellent venues for what you are looking for.

Posts: 158 | Location: Albafunky NM  | Registered: March 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by virtuous:
Small Engine Gallery

We don't do bands that "aren't that good".
We don't do soft rock/rap-hop unless it is uglier than FUUUCK.

Posts: 878 | Registered: February 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Whatever sssk, Ive seen some crap bands play at both places.

Posts: 158 | Location: Albafunky NM  | Registered: March 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
But I can see that place not wanting a rock rap Project in there like what dude is talking about Wink

- droppin' moms on your bombs

posted Hide Post
The Agency is indeed closed. We ran for a year, and closed with grace.

Best small venues:

Amped
Gasworks

Bout all I can think of. Good luck

*yawn*

Posts: 509 | Location: albuquerque | Registered: April 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by virtuous:
Whatever sssk, Ive seen some crap bands play at both places.

Well bully for yr ass then.

posted Hide Post
Thanks for the tips everyone.

quote:
Originally posted by sssk:
We don't do bands that "aren't that good".
Raven, isn't your label basically populated by drone/noise experiment music? Your taste in what's good is clearly unconventional, if not slightly questionable. Wink

Update: We parted ways with our noob guitarist. The overall sound has had some improvement, but it's still Rap-Hop.

http://soundcloud.com/dr_thunda/rap-hop-demo-track-2

http://soundcloud.com/dr_thunda/rap-hop-demo-3

posted Hide Post
You are correct.

The thing is, nobody wants a self-described band that's "not that good".

Checking out the links now. Might have lots of shows in the summer, so good to know you exist.

one of the worst

posted Hide Post
damn thunda! soft rock/rap hop? that's my new schtick! can i sit in? i'm softer that Charmin and i've got more hops than Marble brewery... and i can think of at least two dozen things that rhyme with "uglier than FUUUUCK"

Posts: 1194 | Location: up shit creek | Registered: September 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Haha... nice idea, you sound good for the part... but forget that! Let's start a Doom/Rap band with a few noise dudes thrown in (preferably someone who can make beats/noises using a blender and a broken 8-track). Best of many worlds... all you have to play are a few bar chords at about 60 BPM and we can get all the gigs we want at Small Engine.