Back to RockSquawk.com         Squawk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Chatter    El Rey/GW ON FIRE!
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

El Rey/GW ON FIRE!
 Login/Join

jukebox hero

posted
Holy crap! The El Rey/Golden West is on fire. Huge smoke is billowing out of the place with firefighters all over the place. I just watched it on channel 13. Crazy! Looks like no shows there for a while for all of you bands.

Posts: 1646 | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
You beat me to it MC.

With all the recent development downtown, the timing of the fire is a little suspicious. I hope I'm wrong.

It's too bad, though. Both buildings look like they are done. Eventhough the news is reporting that El Rey's roof has collapsed, The GW seems to be worse off. In fact, I bet it was the GW roof that collapsed and not the EL Rey's.

I had a lot of good times there, especially the GW.

Posts: 143 | Registered: September 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Moderator - Ultimatum

posted Hide Post
looks like the Launchpad is affected as well...this sucks big time I'm wondering how it happened? Glad no one was hurt thus far and I hope no fire fighters get hurt.We just played the GW last weekend and on the stage their electrical outlets were not in tact still. I told them about that problem over and over I know a lot of bands amps were fried in the past there because of this problem. makes you think if it maybe was an electrical fire. Hmnnn....

We had a lot of good shows at the GW as well I hope they can rebuild.

Posts: 273 | Location: Albuquerque, NM, USA | Registered: January 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
makes you think if it maybe was an electrical fire.

That or "landlord lightning." Goddammit, they'd better not fuck up the Launchpad with this shiot...

\m/DooM\m/

Posts: 3602 | Registered: July 26, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
From the aerial view there looked like a little black soot on the launchpads roof. Its a pretty thick brick wall between the launchpad and the GW I think the launchpad would be pretty decently protected but I'm sure there's damage to the roof at least.

I like your face.

Posts: 1172 | Location: Albuquerque | Registered: July 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
The El Rey's electrical was no better than GW's, especially backstage. Exposed wire everywhere.

Posts: 805 | Location: ABQ, NM, USA | Registered: February 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Professional Onlooker

posted Hide Post
Link

It's odd though how they say the golden west's owner didn't find out 'til she saw it on the news, yet Joe found out by alarms in his building going off, and getting a call because of this. so a big ass place like el rey has no fire alarms or something? or just no one paying attention to them?

"A chick bleeding out her vagina is no miracle. Chicks bleed out their vaginas all the time." - Pope Benedict XVI

Posts: 539 | Location: thunderdome | Registered: May 05, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Metal/Other

posted Hide Post
FUCK!

Posts: 777 | Location: Albucrappy | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Those places were tax write offs. I doubt they had alarms or insurance.

Posts: 805 | Location: ABQ, NM, USA | Registered: February 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Just heard an interview w/ theowner, she says the GW is done, "unless the community wants to do something with it."
She says the theater doesn't look bad, Still no word I've heard about the Launchpad.

Posts: 665 | Location: ABQ 87110 | Registered: October 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Metal/Other

posted Hide Post
The Launchpad is gonna have some pretty bad smoke damage if it doesnt burn. The live video doesnt look so good. And the Golden West is definately gone.

Posts: 777 | Location: Albucrappy | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Live aerial footage seems to show minor smoke/soot damage on the ElRey/Launchpad roofs, and that's about all, GW Looks like a burned out alley. no roof, no nothing.

Posts: 665 | Location: ABQ 87110 | Registered: October 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
jukebox hero

posted Hide Post
Man I hope the LP is alright. I guess if they need to they can move a lot of their shows to the Moonlight Lounge. It's smaller but at least they wouldn't have to cancel everything. GW is done, though. That's a bummer.

Metal/Other

posted Hide Post
I just heard Joe on the radio, the LP is gonna be fine, a little water and smoke damage, buts thats about it. He said they will be back up and running in a week or 2.

jukebox hero

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BlackToothGrin:
I just heard Joe on the radio, the LP is gonna be fine, a little water and smoke damage, buts thats about it. He said they will be back up and running in a week or 2.
Thank goodness. That's a relief.

J5th

posted Hide Post
At least it will still be standing....

Posts: 80 | Location: I'll be there in ten minutes.. | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BlackToothGrin:

(heavy sigh of relief!)

posted Hide Post
Remember that Launchy has that old retractable roof. Easy to leak water and smoke in there.

Hrrmm... I wonder if they'll move that Soilwork show to the Sunshine? Prob just cancel.

J5th

posted Hide Post
Ryan, if you hear anything else about whats going on let me know.

Posts: 80 | Location: I'll be there in ten minutes.. | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
joel was down there and called me at 6:30 am. i was hoping it was all just a bad dream. we played at the pad last night

Posts: 4224 | Location: Burque | Registered: July 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post