Back to RockSquawk.com         Squawk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Chatter    Guitar Center closing down?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Guitar Center closing down?
 Login/Join

posted
From what I've heard over the last week, this may be true. Has anyone else heard anything?

Bandless!

Posts: 132 | Registered: August 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Who gives a fuck, good riddance.

Fando Rule

Posts: 1616 | Registered: May 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post

\m/DooM\m/

Posts: 3602 | Registered: July 26, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What Would Hüsker Dü?

posted Hide Post
First Myspace, now Guitar Center... Who will be next? The whole world is crumbling around us, people! More fallout from "global warming"!

ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø¤ - ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°

www.myspace.com/theunemploid

www.myspace.com/rageagainstmartinsheen

Posts: 1957 | Location: ABQNM | Registered: October 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Do you mean the local GC or GC as a whole? I doubt that they'd shut down. They just got bought by a large private equity firm. I can't imagine a firm paying out $2 billion just to shut down some or all of the shops.

Edith Grove & Bottle Tree
www.edithgrove.com
Americana music to take you down the back roads.

Posts: 170 | Registered: March 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
They have/had the worse prices in town! I agree Good Riddance.

Posts: 318 | Registered: August 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I've only been in a few times, but the acoustic room can get pretty scary. I was in there once with an out-of-tune banjo player "playing along" with an out-of-tune guitarist going through a amplifier. Ouch.

Edith Grove & Bottle Tree
www.edithgrove.com
Americana music to take you down the back roads.

Posts: 170 | Registered: March 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
My last stop at GC

Me: "I need the cheapest speaker cable you have. I'm going to try out a bass head and the guy I'm buying it from does not have one."

GC: "hey man you should try this one the quality is better because blah, blah, blah blah"

Me: "No you don't understand, I am using it ONCE to try out this head before I buy it. He lives 3 blocks from here, I don't want to drive a half hour home to get my cable."

GC" "cool man, but if you want it sound blah, blah, blah you should look at this one"

Me "Just give me that cheap one there"

GC: "so what kind of music do you play?"

Me: "I'm in a band called King Cock"

GC: "cool man"

Fando Rule

Posts: 1616 | Registered: May 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do the Zombie!

posted Hide Post
Guitar Center is a business based on bait-and-switch advertising and people who don't know better. Since there's no shortage of the latter, I doubt they're closing.

Speaking of David and Goliath, who do you give your business to when you need equipment? Local stores? Do you shop online? Browse the classifieds?
Who's the best in terms of prices and selection?

Squawk on.

Posts: 705 | Registered: March 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Te occidere possunt sed te edere non possunt nefas est.

posted Hide Post
It's funny how people's experiences can be so different at places. Shit, I fucking refuse to shop at Grandmas because every time I go there, I can't seem to get anyone to help me. Last time I was in there like 3 years ago I had $1200 cash in my pocket, ready to drop on drum and audio stuff. After waiting 15 minutes in drums I went over to audio where I spent another 20 minutes. No service at all. Finally I went and hung out by the guitars (where I have no business at all being) and even then it took another 10 minutes before someone asked if they could help me. I requested a mgr. and after like 15 minutes, dude comes out and asks if there's a problem. I pulled out my cash and told him to look very carefully at the money his store had just lost to GC. Funny, they were falling over themselves to get me to stay as I was leaving. Haven't been back since. GC at least acts like they want my money when I walk back into drums or audio. I know, GC is the Wal-Mart of music stores, and I feel somewhat guilty when shopping there, but I can get what I need, quickly, usually with a 10% discount if I ask correctly.

"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." -Ben Franklin

Posts: 2126 | Location: Skull house. | Registered: March 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
the cheapest cable at GC is 19.99. It would be a sweet victory if they did close but that's never gonna happen. I have a feeling this is a cruel joke aimed at good ole scutt. (man RS can be cruel Smile)

I enjoy going into GC occasionally b/c I enjoy laughing at the ridiculous prices of their vintage gear. I believe they had a white late-60s les paul SG model with three pickups for 60 grand at one time. I thought that was hilarious. ..... but fuck, you never know with rich rock wannabes like billy bob thorton and billy zane (or whatever the hell his name is) roamin' around the city, right???

I was very disappointed to find out that CG bought-out Musician's Friend... probably explains why my last mail order took almost 2 months to arrive... fu@king bullshit. I will NEVER order from them again. I give my $$/business to Music-go-round and Encore but I do occasionally stop into GC when I have to because Grandma's is too fu@king far away.

I always seem to get stuck in cash-out line at GC for 45 minutes when I'm just running in to get picks/strings ... too many emo youngins asking questions about the most recent line6 multi-fx pedal and soccermoms wonder what is the best acoustic guitar to buy for their teenage daughter.

Then again, every time I go to Encore I get stuck in there, shooting the shit about the good old daze when mainstream rock was real and no one used click-tracks and everything was tube. Those old geezers show a lot of respect for other musicians. (although b/f they knew i was in a band they were kinda dicks) They are truly about the music. They let me borrow an amp for three weeks when mine blew up. I didn't give them a deposit or anything, they knew I was in a bind and like an old friend they were there to help out.

Music go round is also a bunch of really nice, helpful guys. Fu@king Ruben is my hero. He has helped me with so many 'little' repairs I could never thank him enough. They've also let me take gear to practice and return it for a full refund if I didn't like it.

But all it all I try to stay away from guitar stores because they take all my money.

Posts: 4224 | Location: Burque | Registered: July 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Everyone there works on commission... I think the base salary is around minimum wage. Anyway, if you are making a purchase you can ask for a discount because most people would rather have the sale and make something rather than nothing off of the commission.

This particular GC isnt that great. The selection of guitars, basses, and guitar amps are pretty limited.

I remember in Miami the GC was kind of like a hub for local musicians and just about all the staff played in bands that were active and involved in the music scene down there.

I think I've gotten almost everything I use these days off ebay... usually for about 1/3-1/2 retail.

Posts: 1377 | Registered: September 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Speaking of David and Goliath, who do you give your business to when you need equipment? Local stores? Do you shop online? Browse the classifieds?
Who's the best in terms of prices and selection?

I like Music-Go-Round. If Grandma's wasn't on the West Side, I'd do more biz with 'em. They should've just downsized the Heights store, not closed it, IMO.

I have bought a few items from GC, but I usually leave feeling slimy. Every once in awhile, they get a decent used piece.

\m/DooM\m/

Your Music Is In Odd Time Signatures

posted Hide Post
I saw this ahile back.. Guitar Center is just being purchased by a group of investors. They aren't going away..

Guitar Center bought by Bain

Posts: 1543 | Location: Albuquerque, NM | Registered: June 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Guitar Center is just being purchased by a group of investors. They aren't going away..

Lotta times when chains are acquired, the buyer will close down the poorest-performing stores, so it's possible the ABQ store could close if it's not doing particularly well.

\m/DooM\m/

Your Music Is In Odd Time Signatures

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RacerX:
Lotta times when chains are acquired, the buyer will close down the poorest-performing stores, so it's possible the ABQ store could close if it's not doing particularly well.

Maybe they should do that with some of the poorest-performing bands in Albuquerque. Like us!!!

"I'm sorry left brain, corporate said you guys aren't meeting your drinking quotas. We are going to have to shut you down."

Posts: 1543 | Location: Albuquerque, NM | Registered: June 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Maybe they should do that with some of the poorest-performing bands in Albuquerque. Like us!!!

I'm pretty sure DRS's CD sales are now in the double digits, so if our bands both get downsized, let's start buskin' on the streets!

\m/DooM\m/

posted Hide Post

Posts: 4224 | Location: Burque | Registered: July 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post

posted Hide Post
Gotta love Bush's "dickfingered" G maj chord.

Note the position of the "handler's" hands - gettin' ready to push dumbya's hand down a fret.

Madonna's left hand looks very relaxed. Roll Eyes

\m/DooM\m/