Back to RockSquawk.com         Squawk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Chatter    Future of Puccini building
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Future of Puccini building
 Login/Join

Tireless Neck

Picture of Sloppy
posted
Ye Another Interesting MySpace Bulletin:
"The Puccini building is now a non-profit 501(c)(3) organization. If you would like to make a donation-it can be done at the Bank of Albuquerque under the historic El Rey Theater fund. Your contribution will be tax-deductible. We are looking forward to rebuilding the Golden West Saloon!"

I am getting curious about what is changing over there, in terms of the whole legal situation, the trust, etc. It was my vague ignorance-and-rumors-fueled understanding that the terms of the trust had sort of held the place back. I had the impression that there was neither the incentive nor the capital to make things happen, and that this problem was irrevocably locked-in: it couldn't ever get fixed. That it has changed to a 503(c) -- that this is even possible -- has me wondering.

What's going on? What does it all mean?

"Had I'd know it'd end this way, I wish, I wish, I wish I'd brought those chains." -- 5MS

Posts: 683 | Location: Albuquerque NM USA | Registered: November 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Yeah. My understanding is also pretty much rumor-based. It feels kind of creepy/disrespectful to speculate, but since that's what this site is for: I thought/have been told that it was held back in part because it was a historic building, and therefore had strange regulations and weird grandfathered zoning. I guess those problems at least would be cleared up now. (?)

It's cool that they are rebuilding and not selling the lot and liquor license, as I've also heard speculated. And we all know the electrics will be new! Certainly there is a lot of opportunity for that place to ride the current goodwill and publicity. Especially if rebuilding costs are covered by the community there isn't any reason they can't come back stronger than before if it's done right. It's also a comfort, since many of the rumors I've heard spell death to the music scene (I'm still keeping my fingers crossed though).

I wonder what the deal is with the shared Launchpad wall too. Are they going to split the cost or build two walls back to back? It would be weird if there was a shiny new Golden West before the Launchpad got to re-open.

Down with oily rags!

Posts: 3257 | Location: location, location | Registered: December 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
was GW not insured???

Posts: 4224 | Location: Burque | Registered: July 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Professional Onlooker

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WebMonkey:
was GW not insured???

Yeah, isn't that illegal somehow if you're running a for profit business?

"A chick bleeding out her vagina is no miracle. Chicks bleed out their vaginas all the time." - Pope Benedict XVI

Posts: 539 | Location: thunderdome | Registered: May 05, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Before everyone gets all benefit happy here, let's ask some basic questions...

1) Why are there going to be donations and benefit shows if the insurance will cover the damage?

2) If there is no insurance then what happens to all this money when there is not enough raised to re-build the Golden West?

3) Why would we want to give money to the shitty management that let the GW burn down in the first place? The historic GW is gone why spend our resources rebuilding under the same crap management?

4) What about a benefit show for the lost wages of Launchpad employees?

Posts: 193 | Registered: October 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Why not go to the source?!? Pick-up the phone and call (505) 242-2353 and ask questions. Is that hard?

"4) What about a benefit show for the lost wages of Launchpad employees?"
-What about a benefit show for the lost wages of Launchpad and Golden West/El Rey employees?

I have done a lot for the music scene and I plan on supporting BOTH Launchpad and Golden West/El Rey.

Posts: 118 | Location: ABQ, NM | Registered: February 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
what I heard was that the building was somehow not insured. Yes this is illegal but its also NM. Why should "the Community" rebuild the building when Kathy should have had insurance? I love it there but if I put money into its return I want someone new at the helm.
Wj.

Posts: 238 | Registered: March 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Make the idiot who left the rags in the basement pay for it.

Fando Rule

Posts: 1616 | Registered: May 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
FROM WIKIPEDIA "LINSEED OIL":

Spontaneous combustion

Rags dampened with boiled linseed oil are a fire hazard, because they provide a large surface area for oxidation of the oil. The oxidation is an exothermic reaction which accelerates as the rags get hotter. Such rags should be washed, soaked with water or incinerated to avoid unexpected spontaneous combustion.

Posts: 4224 | Location: Burque | Registered: July 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
the dumpster behind weinerschnitzel's artist-in-residence

posted Hide Post
.back...and to the left...back...and to the left.
I'm diggin' it.

MadROOFUS Mad

drinkin' and dreamin'

Posts: 289 | Location: albq | Registered: May 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
shame is overrated

posted Hide Post
to their credit, the GW and ER were just starting to do more (better) shows, and that is the biggest shame.

GW was one of the coolest rooms in town, but i NEVER saw a band worth a shit there.

i am no fan of unimaginative cock-shlock-rock, so i have avoided going into GW for the most part.

i seem to remember the drink prices being ridiculous, too.

it seems like the 5 yrs i've lived here both venues were just sitting empty 1/2 (GW) and 98% (ER) the time .

my wife used to work there, and said that there used to be TONS of good bands that played both venues, and that the bar made good money too.

why the current ownership chose to just sit vacant rather than work with certain promoters and MAKE MONEY is uncertain, but i think that it is a symptom of a greater inherent flaw in their reasoning skills.

"the bar is paid for, so who cares?"
seems more than a little stupid...

as does spending (seemingly) $1000 on the "renovations" that make the el rey look like a joke when it could be the premier venue in town, since it doesn't have the sound limitations that other rooms do.

NOT TO MENTION using a product to treat your wood and either not reading the warning label, or not caring.

K's attitude in the first interview summed it up-

"THIS IS THE COMMUNITY'S PROBLEM, BAIL ME OUT SO I CAN CONTINUE TO THUMB MY NOSE AT YOU"

Posts: 578 | Location: domesti city | Registered: February 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by his name is a lie:
"THIS IS THE COMMUNITY'S PROBLEM, BAIL ME OUT SO I CAN CONTINUE TO THUMB MY NOSE AT YOU"

ouch.

but i can see the point.

i'm sad the room's gone. i might attend a GW benefit show. but donate money to a venue that treated lots of my friends like shit? sorry.

Posts: 580 | Location: the 'burque | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I just posted a comment on the GW myspace
GW

The more I think about this the more pissed I get. The GW should be Totally Responsible for All of the Launchpad's costs for repair, and maybe even for loss of income, plus their staff
should be compensated for lost wages. This whole shitty mess is 100% the fault of terrible management and a very selfish family. At one point a hard working Puccini built that building and was very successful. Then he handed all of his hard work down to people with far less vision or motivation.

I recommend that either Joe gets a good lawyer and sues for full compensation or that the GW (Kathi) steps up and does the right thing for once. You want the community's help? Well first you have to be a part of the community.

Posts: 175 | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Professional Onlooker

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Action:
...You want the community's help? Well first you have to be a part of the community.

Exactly! I agree completely.

"A chick bleeding out her vagina is no miracle. Chicks bleed out their vaginas all the time." - Pope Benedict XVI

Posts: 539 | Location: thunderdome | Registered: May 05, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
It's the old story of inheritance. The grandfather is a visionary, and by the time you get to the grandchildren you wonder if they've been eating paint. I can't believe her insane self of entitlement, asking for the community's help. Shove that silver spoon up your ass, Kathy fucking Pariah.

Posts: 10 | Registered: February 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Hmm. So if that is the case, I guess we will have a parking lot there, eh? It won't be the end of the world, but I doubt a parking lot will serve bands better than the Golden West did. ...unless we get to park there?

Posts: 3257 | Location: location, location | Registered: December 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
shame is overrated

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Action:
I just posted a comment on the GW myspace
GW

The more I think about this the more pissed I get. The GW should be Totally Responsible for All of the Launchpad's costs for repair, and maybe even for loss of income, plus their staff
should be compensated for lost wages. This whole shitty mess is 100% the fault of terrible management and a very selfish family. At one point a hard working Puccini built that building and was very successful. Then he handed all of his hard work down to people with far less vision or motivation.

I recommend that either Joe gets a good lawyer and sues for full compensation or that the GW (Kathi) steps up and does the right thing for once. You want the community's help? Well first you have to be a part of the community.

i dunno what you posted, but in true GW fashion, it has been removed...

must have been scathing, as some chick bags on "pointing fingers" .

she and anyone else responsible for the fire should have the nards to step up and compensate those that have suffered loss of income etc. OUTSIDE of the GW/eR family FIRST, as it is no fault of theirs that they have to look elsewhere for employment.

several of my friends (as well as myself) have lost income because of this negligence, and
i don't see K taking any responsibility without it being mandated by law and/or /suit.

if she has no insurance, then maybe finally this venue can be wrested from her hands via massive liability suit.

then maybe the community that she has called on to fix her fuck-up can at last get to enjoy what is left of this exceptional facility.

if not, i am sure it will soon return to its usual state of neglect and disuse .

Posts: 578 | Location: domesti city | Registered: February 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I told them to stand up and take responsibility for what has happened and take care of the Launchpad. And to stay positive.

If someone smashed into Kathy's car on the highway, I bet she would expect to be reimbursed for the damages.

It's funny because they (GW) just asked me and my 2 bands as well to be "myspace friends" just since the fire. They expect for everyone to feel bad for them and help them out while they do nothing to help the business that they screwed over right next door to them. This isn't 911. You guys fucked up!

I know accidents happen, But I am talking about what you do after that.

Posts: 175 | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Who cares what the future of that place is....it was mostly just a place for bands that couldn't get shows at the Launchpad.

Fando Rule

Posts: 1616 | Registered: May 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tireless Neck

Picture of Sloppy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DaveFame:
Who cares what the future of that place is....it was mostly just a place for bands that couldn't get shows at the Launchpad.

It became more and more rare over the last year or two, but occasionally those were some good bands. I was at GW the weekend before the fire, bangin' my head to one of the state's very best metal bands: Ultimatum.

"Had I'd know it'd end this way, I wish, I wish, I wish I'd brought those chains." -- 5MS

Posts: 683 | Location: Albuquerque NM USA | Registered: November 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post